Dealing with dark spots? These stubborn spots are a headache to anyone that has suffered with them, but luckily our Picky Expert and board certified Dermatologist Dr. Meg has some helpful tips that can hopefully help you combat these annoying hyper-pigmented pests!
What are dark spots?
Dark spots, also known as hyperpigmentation, is a term that describes skin that appears darker. This is due to the deposition of melanin pigment. This can be more obvious for those with darker skin types.
What causes them?
There are several factors or underlying causes for dark spots to occur. Including the following:
- Inflammation and trauma that can lead to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (AKA PIH)
- Certain medications
- Medical conditions such as acanthuses nigricans, melasma, sun spots or solar lentigo, etc
- Hormonal changes
- Excessive sun exposure
How to fade dark spots
Here’s some tips that can maybe help you fade those stubborn spots away.
- Use gentle and fragrance-free products: This will lessen any chance of irritation which would only create more inflammation and hyperpigmentation.
- Apply SPF daily: Wearing a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 is best to protect your skin from further worsening or creating hyperigmentation.
- Above and beyond with sun protection: Using more than just sunscreen does wonders to protect your skin. Such as a wide-brimmed hat, UV protective eyewear and long sleeves or pants.
- Consult a professional: If you’re worried than always consult your local board-certified dermatologist for evaluation. They can help pin-point the underlying cause for your dark spots and avoid self-medication.
Sometimes knowing which ingredients can help is key to solving your skin concern! We have a short list of ingredients that can help ease up those spots, but if you want more details make sure to check out our Ingredient Guide to Hyperpigmentation.
Follow Picky Experts on Picky!
Want even more great Expert advice? There’s a whole channel on Picky where you can find Picky Experts posting their latest skincare science tips and info! Don’t miss out on their insight and hop to your Picky app now! Make sure to check out more fun skincare science content on our Instagram!