We all want to stay young and wrinkle-free for as long as we can. But, we can’t deny that as we age wrinkling is inevitable. While skincare has its own limitations on improving facial lines, several other aesthetic treatments can help you with it, such as Botox. Let’s learn more about the ins and outs of Botox and what to expect after the procedure.
What is Botox?
Botox, made from Botolinum toxin, is an injectable cosmetic drug to “freeze” or “paralyze” facial muscles, thus reducing facial wrinkles. It can also prevent fine lines and wrinkles by inhibiting acetylcholine’s release. Acetylcholine is a chemical that tells the muscles around your eyes to contract to form a frown.
Botox can also be used to treat hyperhidrosis, neck spasms, overactive bladder, migraines and lazy eyes. Currently, it is also used for procedures in efforts of having a slimmer jawline, lengthier face, lifted up brows/lips, and turned up lip corners. The effects often last 3-4 months.
Botox Dos and Don’ts
- Choose a skilled aesthetician or dermatologist and look at reviews beforehand.
- Consult with your dermatologist/injector first before getting the procedure to know the exact dosage you need and if you’re eligible for it.
- Let the person in charge of the treatment know about your medical history, allergies and existing medical conditions.
- Avoid blood thinning medication 10 days prior to the procedure as they can cause bruising. Examples include Aspirin, Aleve, Motrin, Coumadin, multivitamins, fish oil, and many more.
- Request numbing cream if you have a low pain tolerance.
- Expect temporary bruising and swelling after the procedure.
- Expect dramatic results instantly. Though you may notice an immediate change, it may take up to 14 days to see dramatic results.
- Massage your face for 24 hours post-treatment.
- Lay down at least for four hours post-treatment.
- Exercise or expose yourself to high heat for 24 hours post-treatment.
Interested to hear peoples’ experience with skincare procedures? Join the latest discussions on the Picky app! You can discover new brands, products and so much more. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and check out our YouTube channel for more skincare science content.