Recently, K-beauty has been making a global impact in the skincare game! This is thanks to their unique and perhaps “unconventional” ingredients, which we highlighted previously in 10 Trendy K-beauty Ingredients. But there’s even more ingredients to cover so welcome to Part 2: 10 More Trendy K-Beauty Ingredients!
1. Green Tea
Green tea is a staple for many countries in the form of a beverage thanks to its various medicinal properties. But green tea can be used for so much more than drinking! With four types of GTCs (green tea catechins) acting synergistically, this ingredient can help with: Anti-inflammation, anti-microbial, antioxidant and anti-aging!
For more on green tea, head to our Green Tea Skincare – The Beauty Secret You Must Know post!
Formally known as Bambusa vulgaris. Bamboo is traditionally used for ulcer, inflammation and skin issues. It contains various medicinal benefits and great nutritional build. An ingredient full of rich vitamins, proteins, amino acids and more.
- Can be used for astringent and antioxidant properties
- Protects skin against bacteria and fungus
- Shows potential anti-inflammatory and wound healing effects
- Keep Cool – Soothe Bamboo Toner
- Be Plain – Bamboo Hydrating Ampoule
- The Plant Base – Nature Solution Hydrating Bamboo Water
3. Mugwort (Artemisia)
Mugwort, or artemisia, is a plant with many species (around 250)! But for skincare you can find this ingredient under the labels artemisia vulgaris, artemisia annua, and artemisia princeps. Mugwort has been used for centuries as a healing herb for antibacterial, anti-fungal and skin protective properties (especially in Korea). The studies supporting mugwort efficacy is still lacking in human clinical trials, but through animal trials we can see the potential
- Soothe and reduce inflammation for both sensitive and acne prone skin types
- Have antioxidant properties
- Help to inhibit acne causing bacteria and so it keeps that acne at bay
- Protects the skin from aging, transepidermal water loss and restores the skin barrier
- I’m From – Mugwort Mask
- Axis Y – Mugwort Pore Clarifying Wash Off Pack
- Nacific – Jeju Artemisia Essence
Heartleaf, or houttuynia cordata is a plant with broad heart-shaped leaves, hence the fitting name! It also goes by the names chameleon plant, fishwort, heartleaf and bishop’s weed. This plant is widely known for its medicinal properties in Japan, Korea, China and North East India. It holds numerous beneficial properties against inflammation, pnuemonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, stomach ulcer, etc.
- Holds antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Is anti-microbial
- Fights against acne causing bacteria
- Anua – Heartleaf 77% Soothing Toner
- Bellflower – Heartleaf Houttuynia Treatment Serum
- Abib – Heartleaf Spot Pad
This one may be a new ingredient to your list. Guaiazulene is a dark blue crystalline hydrocarbon, derivative of azulene, the blue colored constituent of chamomile oil. Guaiazulene functions as a skin conditioning agent in many cosmetic formulations in addition to being an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient!
- Dear Klairs – Midnight Blue Calming Cream
- Neogen – Sur.Medic Azulene Soothing Peptide Ampoule
- Bellflower – Azulene Daily Calming Serum
6. Rice Extract
Rice, also known as oryza sativa, is one of the most produced and consumed grains in the world. Especially in Asia! Rice extract contains tocopherols and other amazing beneficial properties to help with anti-aging, inflammation and more. In skincare, rice can be found in many different forms. Such as rice extract, rice water and rice bran oil.
- Contains antioxidants
- Inhibits production of tyrosinase which forms pigmentation, so it can help with brightening
- Anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties
- I’m From – Rice Serum
- Skinfood – Rice Mask Wash Off
- COSRX – Ultimate Nourishing Rice Overnight Spa Mask
7. Birch Extract
Birch extract, taken from birch sap, is a bioactive liquid full of vitamins, amino acids, minerals and sugars. Through cosmetic application, birch extract can help to rejuvenate the skin in addition to providing antioxidants and increase skin moisture.
- Enature – Birch Juice Hydro Serum
- Round Lab – Birch Juice Moisturizing Cream
- Cosrx – Oil-Free Ultra Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree is actually an essential oil obtained from melaleuca alternifolia and contains high levels of unique anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory compounds. Not to mention tea tree oil has demonstrated effectiveness with various skin infections and helps manage inflammation. It’s also an antioxidant and widely used for treating acne!
- Dr. Jart+ – CTRL-A Teatreetment Cleansing Foam
- Iunik – Tea Tree Relief Serum
- Leegeehaam – Tea Tree 90 Essence
9. Cactus Extract
Cactus, or opuntia ficus indica, is a plant of endurance! Adapting to the most extreme environmental conditions. Also rich in polyphenols, vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids and more. Cactus has shown to contain benefits such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-aging and moisturizer.
- Huxley – Secret of Sahara Anti Gravity Cream
- Tony Moly – I’m Real Cactus Sheet Mask
- SNP – Soothing Cactus Jelly
10. Yuza (Citrus junos)
Yuza, or citrus junos, is a citrus tree with edible fruits that can, reportedly, inhibit oxidative stress and inflammation. It contains several actives such as vitamin C, rutin, tangeretin, hesperidin and more. Moreover, it’s an effective antioxidant, brightener and collagen stimulating agent!
- Some By Mi – Yuja Niacin Blemish Care Serum
- Erborian – Yuza Radiance Dual Phase Lotion
- Dear Klairs – Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop
Want More K-Beauty Ingredients?
Check out Picky for even more K-beauty ingredients to try! You can selectively search for the ingredients you want included in your skincare, or maybe just ask the community for recommendations! Either way, Picky has everything you need to get started in skincare. Head to our blog for more or Instagram for fun skincare science content.